Written on November 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Michelle
Filed under: Article with tags: friday five
The last Friday of every month is part of a feature on BlytheLife.com,
Friday Five. Welcome everyone to this month’s installment! I mention 5 things I love every month.
If you have any suggestions for next month’s Friday Five, please don’t hesitate to email me! Maybe you have a site you think that I should feature or a pattern that’s free and up on the web? Tell me!
For the month of November I wanted to spread the love of sites and blog posts that I enjoyed.
- Katie from 2:22am.org managed to find the original 1972 television commerical for Kenners (marketed in Australia by Toltoys) and I love it! It’s similar to the American/Kenner video, only with a different narrative voice and a different girl playing with the doll.
- BlytheCon 2013 announced the date and venue over the weekend! I know a lot of people are excited over going to NYC next year, so head on over as ticket sales started on November 27th!
- Most of us remember when Plastic Paradise came into existence, but did you know it’s come back? The forum that was the basis for Blythe Kingdom is now a forum once again – and it’s all about Blythe and other plastic dolls. Don’t worry, Blythe Kingdom is still around!
- In case you missed it, The Guardian published an article about Blythe and BlytheCon UK back in October. Pretty neat to see our favourite doll in the media! I keep showing it to my non-dolly friends. “See! It’s not just me that plays with dolls!”, cue the eye rolls…
- Early this month, Fanny Zara of Mademoiselle Blythe did a feature about Black Blythes and I just found it such a fascinating read! The customization process is a step up because of the difficulties with painting the bodies to match the face plates and three customizers shared their tips with Fanny. Very educational and the photos are gorgeous to boot!
If you know of a site, group or activity that you think I should highlight in next month’s Friday Five, let me know! Comment below or email me.
Written on November 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Michelle
Filed under: Article with tags: Love Sophie
Hello, Sophie fans!
I’m back again with a look at the great winter wear that is available for us out there in dolly world. I live in the cold, cold world that is Canada (stereotypes – I encourage them) and I have since 2009. So I’m here to tell you all about what kind of fantastic winter clothing the brilliant dolly fashionistas can wear when you’re out in the cold weather. I
bribed asked Michelle to help me out with this photoshoot, and here are the outfits that I came up with!
Be winter ready with a good pair of boots! White and black is always fashionable. So are furry boots!
A good winter coat can keep you warm, be fashionable, and frame the perfect dress to draw attention to you. No need for ‘loud’ prints, you want your coat to be the frame to the artwork that is your outfit.
Sometimes you just need a new-to-you dress to feel good! Don’t overdress for parties. You’ll get overheated and feel miserable. Or so I hear. Dolls don’t actually produce body heat, just so you know.
Sunglasses are fantastic, especially when there’s snow! The snow makes everything brighter and that can be hard on the eyes. Get a good pair, something with UV coating and fashionable!
It’s okay to be silly from time to time. A good animal-themed hat can keep your noggin warm when you’re out and about. Same goes for a comfy cardigan.
Sophie is a mostly stock Cappuccino Chat that came to live with me in June 2009. She loves shoes, new clothes, playing with her hair, fashion, magazines full of fluff and shopping. She aspires to be a model and would like to model for some of the ‘great’ dolly fashion houses one day.
Written on November 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Michelle
Filed under: Question of the Week
A lot of people in the Blythe community refer to their intense want (or need, depending on who you ask!) of a particular type of Blythe as having a fever. The way you lust after a particular doll and spend your time on Flickr looking up photos of that doll, you join the Flickr groups for those dolls, favourite all the fantastic photos that you see and then comment on all of them about how much you want the doll because she’s just so cute.
Kenner fever, Kozy fever, Goldie fever, Mondie fever, BL fever, PAM fever, fever for a particular custom doll.
I’ve had it before, Kenner fever. But I cured Kenner fever by getting a Kenner and while it was effective, it’s not necessarily the cheapest option there is. Kenners are expensive – so far Kozy, Goldie, Mondie, most of the BLs and certainly PAM. Blythe isn’t a cheap hobby, but what do you do when you decide that you want/need a particular Blythe?
How do/did you cure the fever?
Written on November 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Michelle
Filed under: News
You have a doll-related website and I’ve got your target audience. BlytheLife.com is an active website with a large doll-minded audience. The main readers of BlytheLife.com are Blythe and other doll collectors, primarily women. By advertising your doll-related site or business with BlytheLife, you can ensure that your ad is being seen by the people that are your potential customers.
Advertising rates are kept low as I aim to provide a cost-friendly option for people in the doll community to advertise their sites.
There are two spots available for the month of December. All funds go towards keeping BlytheLife up and running!
Small – 2 spots available for December (160×160 pixels)
- $5 – 1 month
- $9 – 2 months
- $13 – 3 months
If you’d like more information on how you can advertise on BlytheLife, click here.
Written on November 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Michelle
Filed under: Giveaway with tags: Atlanta, Dream Come True, giveaway winner
I loved all the enthusiasm with the giveaway sponsored by Atlanta from Dream Come True! If you haven’t already, you can check out my interview with her about her fantastic vintage-inspired doll beds and bedding sets.
Thank you to everyone who participated, who blogged, tweeted, pinned, shared and liked! There was a wonderful 85 entries to be compiled together before doing the drawing!
Thank you so much again to Atlanta for offering up such a generous prize for the winner! The lucky winner will get a custom-made doll bed for their special doll.
And the winner is…
Click to read more of this entry.